What is LinkedIn and why are the Guilds of Kalamazoo College there?
LinkedIn is a free professional networking website that is similar in format to social networking sites such as Facebook.com. When you join, you create a profile that summarizes your professional expertise and accomplishments. You can then form profile connections by inviting trusted contacts to join LinkedIn and connect to you. Your network consists of your connections, your connections’ connections, and the people they know, linking you to a vast number of qualified professionals and experts.
Through LinkedIn you can:
- Manage the information that’s publicly available about you as professional
- Find and be introduced to potential connections
- Create and collaborate on projects, gather data, share files and solve problems
- Be found for business opportunities and find potential partners
- Gain new insights from discussions with likeminded professionals in private group settings
- Discover inside connections that can help you land jobs and close deals
- Post and distribute job listings to find the best talent for your company
Additional Benefits for Guild Members:
Kalamazoo College Guild members can connect through the Guilds of Kalamazoo to find like-minded professionals, fellow alumni, and passionate students interested in discussing Guild-related topics.
- Benefits of Guild participation for students include the opportunity to learn about professions from “real world” experts, make connections that can lead to internship and job leads, and learn about and engage in their own professional development.
- Benefits of Guild participation for faculty and staff include the opportunity to expand personal networks of field experts and connect these experts with interested students for possible collaboration.
- Benefits of Guild participation for alumni include an opportunity to give back to Kalamazoo College by sharing “real world” experiences with students and connect with students by being possible internship/externship hosts, or SIP mentors.
- Benefits of Guild participation for community members include the opportunity to tap into a pool of educated and talented potential employees for internships and new hires and the possibility of working with students through classroom projects that benefit the community.
- LinkedIn has over 200 million members in over 200 countries (about ½ of all members are outside the U.S).
- Executives from all Fortune 500 companies are LinkedIn members.
- A new member joins LinkedIn approximately every second.
- It is free. (Upgraded memberships are available for a fee, however they are not at all necessary for full Guild involvement)