To make your job/internship search less daunting, here are some helpful steps.
- Make a wish list. Figure out the fields of interest and types of positions you will pursue in your search. What internships or jobs have you always dreamed of doing?
- Set your geographic range. Define the region(s) you are willing to move to in order to obtain a position.
- Know your search tools and techniques. Create a list of websites, including K-Connect to check daily for openings. Update your network, ensure that everyone you know knows you are searching.
- Start the paperwork. Résumés, cover letters, and references are all a part of the job search. Tailor your documents for each application.
- Do your homework. Learn as much as you can about what an organization does and how. Consult various sources including the company's website and news articles related to the industry.
- Get organized. Track contacts you make and receive during your search.
- Fine tune your interviewing skills. Even if you have been successful in interviewing for college admission and summer jobs, practice, practice, practice!
- Attend Job Fairs.
- Follow-up. Always write thank you notes after a contact is made, especially personal visits and telephone contacts with valuable dialogue.
Helpful Job Search Links
- Campus Employment—will answer all questions related to on-campus jobs.
- K-Connect—posts opportunities for life after K as well as all CCPD Internships and Externships. The CCPD has a relationship with many (but not all) of the employers who post jobs on K-Connect and the employers are often, but not limited to, alumni. Additionally, the employers whose jobs are posted on K-Connect are offered the opportunity to express a preference for hiring Kalamazoo College students. Setting up a job agent in order to received notifications about new opportunities is a great idea!
- General Job Search Links—offers the most popular websites for job postings world-wide.
- Job Search Links by interest area—Focused sites by industry, Guild disciplines, etc.
- MI Job Search—Focused on staying in Michigan? These sites, many supported by the state, will help you.
- Global Job Search—Anxious to go abroad? Visit these popular international employment sites.
- Government Jobs—Have you ever considered working for the Federal Government? Jobs are a lot closer than you might think!
- Non-Profit Jobs—offers the top non-profit job search sites.