To make your job/internship search less daunting, here are some helpful steps.
- Make a wish list. Figure out the fields of interest and types of positions you will pursue in your search. What internships or jobs have you always dreamed of doing?
- Set your geographic range. Define the region(s) you are willing to move to in order to obtain a position.
- Know your search tools and techniques. Create a list of websites, including K-Connect to check daily for openings. Update your network, ensure that everyone you know knows you are searching.
- Start the paperwork. Résumés, cover letters, and references are all a part of the job search. Tailor your documents for each application.
- Do your homework. Learn as much as you can about what an organization does and how. Consult various sources including the company's website and news articles related to the industry.
- Grow your network of professionals. Gather information and expand your knowledge by talking to industry professionals and alumni through the Kalamazoo College Guilds.
- Get organized. Track contacts you make and receive during your search.
- Gather information and expand your knowledge by talking to industry professionals and alumni through the Kalamazoo College Guilds. Fine tune your interviewing skills. Even if you have been successful in interviewing for college admission and summer jobs, practice, practice, practice!
- Attend Job Fairs.
- Follow-up. Always write thank you notes after a contact is made, especially personal visits and telephone contacts with valuable dialogue.
Helpful Job Search Links
- Campus Employment—will answer all questions related to on-campus jobs.
- K-Connect—posts opportunities for life after K as well as all CCPD Internships and Externships. The CCPD has a relationship with many (but not all) of the employers who post jobs on K-Connect and the employers are often, but not limited to, alumni. Additionally, the employers whose jobs are posted on K-Connect are offered the opportunity to express a preference for hiring Kalamazoo College students. Setting up a job agent in order to received notifications about new opportunities is a great idea!
- General Job Search Links—offers the most popular websites for job postings world-wide.
- Job Search Links by interest area—Focused sites by industry, Guild disciplines, etc.
- MI Job Search—Focused on staying in Michigan? These sites, many supported by the state, will help you.
- Global Job Search—Anxious to go abroad? Visit these popular international employment sites.
- Government Jobs—Have you ever considered working for the Federal Government? Jobs are a lot closer than you might think!
- Non-Profit Jobs—offers the top non-profit job search sites.