SPONSORING an Externship
Since its launch in 2002, the Center for Career and Professional Develoment's award-winning Discovery Externship Program, has given alumni and parent sponsors the opportunity to share their professional and home lives with current K students interested in similar career pursuits. Sponsoring an extern is a great way to be connected to the excitement and intellectual passion that is thriving at K these days.
What do alumni and parent sponsors say about hosting an extern?
- "I was able to participate in the Externship Program as an undergraduate and the experience really opened my eyes to the importance of work/life balance. I explored the city and went to concerts in the park while getting exposure to a large, international nonprofit organization. It shaped not only my SIP but also my appreciation for the K community that extends far beyond Academy Street. It's our privilege to mentor a current Hornet through the Discovery Externship Program." K. Kent '07
- "It is an opportunity to give something back to the K community, to get to know a student with shared interests, and hopefully contribute to the student's education and career planning." A. Gravley '84
- "It was really great to connect with a couple of current K-College students and the whole experience felt very rewarding on both sides. I think I learned as much about being an adult and interacting with college students as they did about my career path!" B. Warner '04
- "Love the time and love the students. They keep wanting to come back!!! We build relationships that last a life time." C. Marker Daily '96
- "I enjoyed spending time with my extern, who was in the position I was 30 years ago! It is great program that K provides, really every college should do such a thing. I was so blessed to have been able to attend K, and it felt good to be able to give back a little." G. Doskoch '84
- "I enjoyed learning about the current "K" experience from the student and sharing memories of "K" when I attended over 35 years ago. Also, the student was quite an asset to the operation of our current Youth Theatre Fellows camp. Although she was only with us for a week, within a few days it felt as though she were a "regular" member of the staff. The Externship Program provides a mutually way everyone involved can learn, share, and grow." A. Austin Anderson '78
The months of November/December are our active enrollment period for the upcoming summer. We are counting on alumni like you to commit to sharing your time and talent with a K student for 10 days-2 weeks next summer.
For an overview of the Discovery Externship Program please refer to the information located to the right, under Related Documents.
Discovery Externship Program pages maintained by Pam Sotherland