How do I apply to the Field Experience Program?
Step #1: Take note of eligibility requirements.
- All applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 (some positions require higher).
- Students currently on social probation may be ineligible to participate in the program; determination made on a case-by-case basis.
- Internships are available to full-time Kalamazoo College degree-seeking FIRST YEAR, SOPHOMORE, and JUNIOR students.
- Students may apply for up toTWO funded opportunities (Externship, K-Internship, Community Building Internship, Arcus Center for Social Justice Internship) through the CCPD per summer.
- Students will receive a maximum of ONE offer. A student who applies for and is offered one of these opportunities is expected to accept the offer. Students should therefore only apply for opportunities that they would accept if offered.
- Students may participate in ONE funded opportunity through the CCPD per summer. Once a student is offered a funded opportunity he/she is no longer eligible for additional funding from the CCPD during that summer (ex: independent internship funding).
Step #2: Review the list of Summer 2012 opportunities. PLEASE NOTE: The 2012 opportunities should be used for reference only. While many of these internships will most likely be available again in Summer 2013, confirmed internships will be announced and viewable in K-Connect as follows:
CONFIRMED INTERNSHIPS VIEWABLE IN K-CONNECT:
Round One: Friday, January 11, 2013 (Week 1).
Round Two: Monday, April 1, 2013 (Week 1).
Step #3: Draft your Application Materials.
- Meet with a Career Associate to tailor your first draft of the cover letter(s) and résumé(s) that are REQUIRED for application. Additional information on how to effectively present yourself in your cover letters and résumés is also available.
- Required documents must be saved in either MS Word, PDF or RTF format to be compatible with the K-Connect system.
- For the best chance of success, your résumé should follow these minimum standards, which will be applied by those who review your application:
.5 in. minimum margin
No spelling/grammar errors or typos
Format consistent throughout
Minimum 10pt font/preferably 11-12 pt
Don’t miss this chance to make yours a stand-out application!
Step #5: Apply.
Round One: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 2:00 p.m. (Week 6); No late applications will be accepted.
Round Two: Friday, April 19, 2013, 2:00 p.m. (Week 3); No late applications will be accepted.
Login to K-Connect: Go to K-Connect. Follow the login instructions located on the login screen. Complete any required profile information. Once you are finished with the profile information, you will be brought to the screen below, which is the K-Connect Student homepage.
Upload your application documents into K-Connect: Follow the instructions for uploading each of your documents (cover letter[s] and résumé). Disregard any other document fields unless specifically required.
Document Names: Because each document type (cover letter and résumé) is uploaded into a separate section within K-Connect, you may use the same format to label each document: Organization Name, Internship 2013. (Example: Old Lyme Veterinary Hospital, Internship 2013). Required documents must be saved in either MS Word, PDF or RTF format to be compatible with the K-Connect system.
Locate the internship for which you want to apply:
Click "Jobs" in the grey menu bar. Under Job Advanced Search for Position Type click "K-Internship." (Leave all other fields blank.) Click "Search."
A list of available internships will come up.
Click the Job Title of the internship for which you want to apply.
Submit Documents: Click "Submit Résumé" button found above the position information section of the internship for which you want to apply.
Select Documents to Submit: Under self-referral click "Select Documents." Names of your uploaded documents should appear in the appropriate categories. Select the appropriate cover letter and résumé for the internship for which you want to apply. Click "Save," then click "Submit."
Confirmation of submission: You should get a confirmation indicating you have successfully submitted your documents. You have not applied until you see the message that you have successfully submitted your documents!
Apply to Another Internship: Repeat this process for the additional internship for which you want to apply. You may apply for up to two (2) funded opportunities.
Confirm all submissions: Click on "My Activity" under "My Account" in the grey menu bar. There you will see a list of all the positions for which you submitted materials.
IF YOU EXPERIENCE DIFFICULTIES please contact the Center for Career and Professional Development before the application deadline. Staff members and career advisors are available for additional assistance during the application process.
It is required that all applications be submitted following the process outlined herein. Students are asked not to contact the alumni sponsor/sponsoring organization on their own.