What is a K-Internship?
Unique to Kalamazoo College, K-Internships are summer internship opportunities that are: 1) extended only to K students; and, 2) supervised directly by K alumni and/or parents. Students are able to develop a professional working relationship with their K alumni supervisor and/or K parent supervisor, learn about the "real-world" applications of their liberal arts education, and contribute their skills and energy to the work of their placement.
Students apply for K-Internships through the CCPD during winter quarter's Round One, and sometimes during a Round Two at the start of spring quarter. Each K-Internship comes with a need-based sliding-scale stipend to help with expenses incurred by the student over the course of the summer internship. Unlike Discovery Externships with alumni, K-Internships do not come with housing; each intern makes his or her own housing arrangements, often following leads provided by the K-Internship supervisor.
The Round One K-Internships for the coming summer will go live January 11, 2013; Round Two opportunities will go live April 1, 2013. To apply, please review the internship timeline/deadlines, application requirements, and internship opportunities. As participants in the Field Experience Program, K-Interns receive all of the following benefits:
Benefits of K-Internships
There are many benefits to participating in a K-Internship, including:
- Official Transcript Notation
- Stipend to help with expenses
- Mentor relationship with Kalamazoo College alumni professionals
Requirements of K-Internships
As a K-Intern, a student must:
- Be a current first-year, sophomore, or junior when applying.
- Participate in the Field Experience Program and successfully complete all program requirements:
- Complete a Learning Contract with your internship supervisor in order to mutually establish goals for your skill development, learning, and contribution to the organization during your internship.
- Online Orientation—Completion deadline is Friday, June 7, 2013. https://reason.kzoo.edu/ccd/programs/internships/orientation/.
- Reflective Responses—Submitted throughout your internship, for review by a CCPD staff member. For complete information, please go to: https://reason.kzoo.edu/ccd/programs/internships/kinternships/assignments/.
- Final Field Experience Program Evaluation—Submitted at the conclusion of your internship.
- Allow the use of your Structured Reflections and Reflective Assignment as CCPD resources for future interns and/or promotional pieces. We reserve the right to use your name.