Domestic Study Away Programs
Check Out These Five Diverse Study Away Opportunities!
Kalamazoo College is a member of the Great Lakes Colleges Association (GLCA), a consortium of 12 private liberal arts colleges in Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio. These colleges share facilities and resources in order to provide students like you with the opportunity to spend a quarter studying 'away' and interning with professionals in educational programs throughout the United States.
During your time away, you are able to earn up to 3 units that apply towards Kalamazoo College graduation requirements, and gain valuable hands-on experience in fields of interest. If you meet the appropriate qualifications, you can apply for participation in the following 5 programs:
- New York Arts offers a semester of intense field-based experiential education specific to media arts, performing arts, and visual arts. The two program goals are 1) to provide advanced experience in the arts, and 2) to increase the knowledge of all arts as practiced in New York. App cycle opens May 13, 2015 and closes Sept 16, 2015.
- Oak Ridge Science Semester in Tennessee is intended to broaden students' perspectives and expose them to the wide range of research carried out at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) by staff scientists from many fields. ORNL is a U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) multi-program laboratory focusing on national and global energy and environmental issues. App cycle opens Jan 15, 2016 and closes Feb 11, 2016.
- Borders Studies is based in the southern Arizona borderlands in Tucson, Arizona, this unique program is situated in a way that students are able to fully embrace and understand the complexities of this dynamic region. App cycle opens Jan 15, 2016 and closes Feb 11, 2016.
- Newberry Seminar in the Humanities in Chicago is a graduate-level course designed for undergraduates in the liberal arts. Students and faculty become fellows of the Newberry Library community, working alongside leading researchers from around the world. App cycle opens Jan 15, 2016 and closes Feb 11, 2016.
- Philadelphia Center provides students of all majors an opportunity to explore urban issues and define their own personal and professional goals through hands-on experience. App cycle opens Jan 15, 2016 and closes Apr 14, 2016.
The CIP can assist you with the online application process. Our staff members collect and compile all the application materials that will be reviewed by the campus selection committee for each respective program.
Eligibility requirements are established by each program individually. There are limits on how many students from Kalamazoo College will be able to participate in each program; usually one to six students are selected. For this reason, participation is competitive. Typically, you must present a proposal for how this unique opportunity will complement your Kalamazoo College studies. Both sophomores and juniors can participate in study away programs.
College Credit and Financial Aid
Kalamazoo students are eligible to participate in only one study away experience for credit during their time at the College. Students may participate in a study away program and a Short-Term or Long-Term study abroad program. No more than ten units of credit from off-campus programs (including study abroad and domestic off-campus programs such as New York Arts, Philadelphia Urban Studies, or Border Studies Program) can be used to meet a student's graduation requirements.
For specific information about credit or financial aid for study away programs, please e-mail Heather Garcia in the Center for International Programs.