Resources for International Students
- Academic Program for English Second Language (ESL) and Cultural Writing Needs - provides extra assistance for students, particularly first years, who did not grow up speaking English in their home or who seek support in adjusting to the academic and cultural expectations at Kalamazoo College.
- Student Organizations at K!
- Admission Office
- Campus Map
- College Dining - hours, menus, prices
- Counseling Center
- Emergencies On or Near Campus
- International Travel Clinic
- K College Website
- Student Health Center
- Downtown Kalamazoo - more on downtown Kalamazoo events, restaurants, clubs, entertainment and more!
- Discover Kalamazoo - comprehensive visitor information site
- City of Kalamazoo - official Kalamazoo City website
- Crossroads Mall
- Maple Hill Mall - 5050 W. Main St.
- Celebration Cinema
- Kalamazoo 10
- Kalamazoo Area Movie Showtimes
- Alamo Drafthouse Cinema - formerly The Rave
- Greater Kalamazoo Area Sports and Recreation Information
- Great Lakes Adventure Club - local outdoors adventure club
Kalamazoo Farmer's Market - open 1st Saturday in May to Nov 20. Fresh, local fruits, vegetables, jewelry, crafts, and much more.
Hardings Markets - basically American foods
Irving's Market and Deli - Quality market, deli, and coffee shop
La Mexicana Market - a Mexican grocery store, take out, and restaurant at 1956 Portage Rd between Reed Ave and Bryant St. Phone (269) 373-2963
La Azteca Bakery - 1938 Portage Street, close to La Mexicana Market Phone (269) 344-5644
Meijer's - huge grocery store, varied selection of different ethnic/international foods, clothing, office/school supplies, pharmacy, more.
Pacific Rim Foods - an Asian grocery store near the corner of Oakland Dr and Whites Rd at 1926 Whites Rd (behind the Oakwood Plaza). You can order online too. Store Hours: Monday - Saturday: 10:00AM to 8:30PM, Sunday: 12:00PM - 6:00PM. Phone (269) 382-0888.International Gourmet Market - A Middle Eastern grocery store on Michigan? near WMU
People's Food CoOp - Has cheaper spices than Meijer's or Harding's that you can buy in bulk, and it also has produce
World of Spices - An Indian grocery store and spice store at 5911 S. Westnedge Avenue just south of E. Milham Ave. Phone (269) 381-2913
Bronson Winter Farmer's Market - Alternating Fridays starting in Dec, ending in Apr. Inside Bronson Methodist Hospital's SkyCourt Cafe. Fresh, local fruits and vegetables.
Location: 128 S Kalamazoo Mall. (269) 385-1026
Hours: Monday-Friday from 7 am to 6 pm ; Saturday from 8 am to 5 pm
Offers: Wireless internet is available to patrons. Small and quiet, non-smoking. Full service coffee shop with pastries, soups, quiche, sandwiches, salads, desserts, etc.
Location: 120 W South St. (269) 349-1295
Hours: Monday-Friday from 6:30 am to 6 pm; Saturday from 8:30 am to 3 pm
Offers: Very small, clean, and attractive shop. Oldest coffee shop in Kalamazoo. Features more than 50 different kinds of coffee, many of which are Certified Fair Trade and Organic beans. No Wireless Internet.
Totally Brewed Café
Location: 151 S Rose St; located inside Comerica Bank building. (269) 373-2840
Hours: Monday-Friday from 6:30 am to 5 pm
Offers: Indoor and outdoor seating. Very open and well-lit shop with full-length front window facing Bronson Park. Also serves smoothies, ice cream, and locally made snacks such as caramel corn and roasted nuts. No Wireless Internet.
Water Street Coffee
3037 Oakland Drive and 315 East Water Street
Hours: Monday–Thursday; 6:45 am–10:00 pm, Friday; 6:45 am–11:00 pm, Saturday; 7:45 am–11:00 pm, Sunday: 8 am–10:00 pm
Offers: Outdoor and indoor seating. Water Street roasts their own coffee beans, and bakes all their mouth-watering pastries and snacks in their own kitchen. The Joint’s interior features art shows by local artists that change every two months. Wireless internet is available to patrons.
Oakland Dr location:
3037 Oakland Dr (269) 488-0018.
Hours: Monday–Thursday; 6:00 am–11:00 pm, Friday; 6:45 am–Midnight, Saturday; 7:00 am–Midnight, Sunday: 7 am–11:00 pm
Offers: fresh-brewed house-roasted coffee and espresso drinks, fresh-squeezed juices made to order, hand-dipped Palazzolo’s gelatos and sorbettos, hand-made desserts and an expanded selection of our wonderful savories including soups, sandwiches, tarts, tortillas, fresh fruit, casseroles, deli items, pastas, and an array of salads. food is prepared in small batches using fresh Michigan-grown fruits and vegetables.
West Michigan Tourist Association Website - All kinds of things to do on or near the west coast of Michigan
Things to Do in Michigan - Pure Michigan website -Michigan's Official Travel and Tourism Site
Need Clothes? You can get good, gently-used clothing here:
- Goodwill Store: 5609 W. Main St., (269) 372.612. Hours: Monday - Friday: 10:00 am to 8:00 pm, Saturday: 10:00 am to 6:00 pm, Sunday: Noon to 5:00 pm
- Salvation Army Store: 5117 Portage Rd, (269) 344-0576. Call for hours.
Metro Transit Bus Routes - These buses can get you to most of the places on this page!
- Mapquest - driving/location directions
- Kalamazoo Social Security Administration Building: 5349 W Main St, Kalamazoo, MI 49009-1007 (269) 381-2313.SSA Website.
- Social Security Application
- Michigan Secretary of State - drivers licensing
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS) - tax information
- USCIS Immigration Service
- Non-Immigrant Visa Appointments - A system for booking non-immigrant visa interviews. Interviews may be booked at the U.S Embassy in Ottawa, Canada and selected Consulates General in Canada.
- International Students and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)
- Student and Exchange Vistor Information System (SEVIS)
- Department of Homeland Security
- Foreign Consular Offices in the United States
- Consulate General of Canada in Detroit - research visa application requirements here before you apply for a Canadian visa!
- Storage Options for International Students
- U.S. Social Customs and Cultural Differences
- International Student Exchange and Study Abroad Resource Center - Provides information about studying and living in the U.S. and answers questions dealing with special matters such as job searching and discount airfare.
- iStudentCity - Features links to seven different "centers" contained in the website: academic, finance, insurance, telecom, housing, career and immigration.