The Arcus Center at Kalamazoo College
The mission of the Arcus Center for Social Justice Leadership is to support the pursuit of human rights and social justice by developing emerging leaders and sustaining existing leaders in the field of human rights and social justice, creating a pivotal role for liberal arts education in engendering a more just world.
Our vision is to locate Kalamazoo College at the forefront of leadership development for human rights and social justice. In pursuit of this vision, we will model a just and sustainable community. By realizing this vision, we will help bring about a world in which
- every person's life is equally valued,
- the inherent dignity of all people is recognized,
- the opportunity to develop one’s full potential is available to every person,
- and systematic discrimination and structural inequities have been eradicated.
By meeting our goals, the Arcus Center for Social Justice Leadership will . . .
- increase the capacity of students, faculty, staff, and our social justice partners to exercise effective leadership for human rights and social justice;
- enable participants to employ theories and practices of transformative leadership for positive social change;
- model social justice in our work;
- foster widespread considerations of social justice and social justice leadership throughout the College;
- develop and disseminate a model for integrating social justice and social justice leadership into liberal arts education;
- ensure that Kalamazoo College is immediately associated with work in social justice leadership within the higher education community;
- be primary contributors to a set of best practices for human rights and social justice leadership; and
- situate Kalamazoo College at the forefront of leadership development for human rights and social justice.
The ACSJL is non-partisan and non-sectarian, seeking to engage a rich diversity of individuals, groups, and perspectives in its activities.
View enlarged PDF here.