The First-Year Experience
Kalamazoo College prides itself in its strong First-Year Experience (FYE) Program, which weaves together hands-on involvement, experiential learning, and mentorship within the context of a rigorous academic life. Key components of the program include First-Year Seminars, First-Year Forums, Peer Leader mentors, Advising, and Summer Common Reading. With these pillars, the FYE helps K students to:
- achieve academic success
- identify and pursue passions
- connect with Kalamazoo College and the greater Kalamazoo communities
- construct complex intercultural understandings
- develop a purpose-filled and balanced life
Recognition and Awards for the First-Year Experience Program
- A Featured College in Achieving and Sustaining Institutional Excellence for the First Year of College.
- One of 13 “Institutions of Excellence in the First College Year” by National Policy Center on the First Year of College.
- Recognized as a “program that really works” by U.S. News & World Report for three consecutive years.
- FYE program director Dr. Zaide Pixley was named an “Outstanding First-Year Advocate” by the National Resource Center for the First-Year Experience and Students in Transition in 2006.
For more information, contact:
Dr. Zaide Pixley, Dean of the First Year & Advising
(269) 337-5755; firstname.lastname@example.org