RecycleMania is a national, yearly event in which colleges and universities compete to reduce waste and increase rates of recycling. Categories include waste minimization, recyclables per capita, bottles & cans, and more. Kalamazoo College has consistently placed high in this competition, winning Grand Champion in 2008, and placing in the top 5 for the last three years. RecycleMania takes place during winter quarter each year. For more information about Kalamazoo College's participation in RecycleMania click here.
Recycling Department Initiatives
Facilities Management, largely due the efforts of our Recycling Department, provides the campus with opportunities to implement the three R's of waste management: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Click Here to go to the Recycling Department website.
- Academic Year-End Item Collection
- Every year during June, Residential Life and Recycling work together in collecting unwanted items from students during the year-end move out. Items collected are either transferred to R.E.P. (see below) or properly recycled.
- Grove Point Campus Composting
- Vermicomposting Bins for On-Campus Student Houses
- In past years the Recycling Department has provided worm composting (vermicomposting) bins to students that live in on-campus theme houses, referred to as Living Learning Housing Units.
- The Resource Exchange Program (R.E.P.)
- Clothing Swaps
- Clothing swaps occur randomly throughout the year and are sponsored by a multitude of student organizations.
- Summer Furniture Sale
- Typically, the Recycling Department organizes an annual Summer Furniture Sale during July and sometimes running through parts of August. The furniture supply is gathered from different multiple sources around campus, when different departments and offices acquire new furniture. The sale is held in the Severn Hall parking lot and is open to everyone.
- Traditional Acceptable Recyclables
- Most Plastics
- Phones/Answering Machines
- Printer/Fax/Copier toner cartridges
- Inkjet Cartridges
- VCR/DVD players
- Typewriters, keyboards
- Printer, fax, scanner
- CRT Monitors
- Light bulbs (fluorescent tubes)
- A/V Equipment (e.g. cassette deck/mixer)
- Misc. E-Waste (e.g. circuit boards)