Skills for Philosophy Majors
Skills we seek to cultivate:
- Careful, open-minded, critical reading.
- The differentiation of arguments from non-arguments.
- The identifications of formal and informal fallacies in prose writing.
- Clear, detailed, textually supported expository writing.
- Cogent, logically structured, precise argumentative writing.
- Narrative ability to historically situate important issues and questions.
- Creative coordination of different disciplinary approaches to a single matter.
- Articulate, interrogative verbal questioning.
- Clear, respectful argumentative deliberation.
- Cooperative, flexible, deliberation aiming at stabilizing dissensus within some overlapping consensus.
- Organized, well-paced, audience-sensitive public presentations.
- Professional comportment in conference settings.