2013 Summer Campus Housing
Campus housing may be extended to students during the summer on a space available basis only. Only those students who fit the criteria below are eligible for summer campus housing. The priority for housing students for the summer is in the following order:
- Full time (32-40 hours per week) paid student employees of campus offices or departments.
- Full time (32-40 hours per week) researchers working for a faculty member on the faculty member’s project that requires one to be at “K” for the purpose of access to specific facilities or daily access to faculty members.
- Full time (32-40 hours per week) local (Kalamazoo metropolitan area only) interns and externs. Internships and externships must be registered with the Center for Career and Professional Development.
Students may live on campus during the dates of employment/internship/externship only.
Summer housing in Hoben Hall is available in 2013 from June 15 - August 16. The summer residence hall closes on Friday, August 16 at 5 p.m. Students continuing to work full-time for the College after that date and who have a fall campus assignment will be permitted to move to their fall space and continue living on campus after August 16.
Sign Up Process
- All students choosing to live on campus during the summer will be required to pay a housing fee which includes $100 refundable security deposit and $50 per week (2013 rate) room rental fee. A representative from the Student Accounts Office will be present at the housing sign up process to take payments and to make arrangements for payroll deduction as necessary. See “billing arrangements” for more detailed information.
- Sign up for summer housing will take place in the Student Development Office (Hicks) on Thursday of 10thweek, spring quarter (June 6, 2013) from 11:30 am - 12:30 pm.
- Students must bring a completed and signed Summer Housing Contract Form to the summer housing process.
- Students must bring written verification of employment to the housing process and two copies of the Payment Form.
- Most housing in Hoben for 2013 will be double occupancy. Very few single rooms will be available. Students may sign up with a specific roommate or they will be assigned a roommate.
- At the time of sign up, students will indicate a specific period of consecutive weeks for summer residence and will pay for that block according to the College’s billing arrangements. A student may spend some period of time within the block away from the room (a vacation, for example) but must pay for the entire block. Students who check out early will still be charged for the entire block. Accounts will not be pro-rated.
- Students living in the summer residence hall are not required to carry a meal plan. Lunches are generally served in the Dining Center Monday-Friday, and students can pay cash at the door whenever they wish to eat there.
- Students should not skip class to sign up for summer housing. Students who are in class during the summer housing process should stop by Student Development after class to sign up.
- Questions about summer housing sign up may be directed to Dana Jansma, Associate Dean of Students, 337-7210 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students must bring two copies of the Payment Form to the housing process. Students have the following options for payment of their summer rent, and if they so choose for their meal plan:
Payment Option #1: (Monthly Payment)
- All summer employed students will be responsible to pay the $100 refundable security deposit to Student Accounts at the housing process, prior to signing up for a room.
- Summer students will also be required to make the June rent payment to Student Accounts on July 1.
- Future month rent payments will be due on July 1 (for both June and July) and August 1 (for August). Students not signed up for payroll deduction will not receive a bill or any reminders that rent is due. They will receive a confirmation with rent due dates at the time of sign up. It is the student’s responsibility for making timely payments. A late payment penalty of $5 per day will be assessed.
Payment Option #2: (Payroll Deduction)
- All summer employed students will be responsible to pay the $100 refundable security deposit to Student Accounts at the housing process, prior to signing up for a room. This payment cannot be processed via payroll deduction.
- Students employed by the College can choose to set up payroll deduction through Student Accounts for the June rent payment prior to sign up.
Questions about billing arrangements can be directed to Patrick Farmer, Student Accounts Coordinator, 337-7226 or email@example.com.