1098-T Tax Form Information

1098-T Tax forms will be mailed out by January 31st.

An electronic copy of your 1098-T tax form can be found on Hornet HQ at the following site: HornetHQ.kzoo.edu


Starting in Tax Year 2018
Kalamazoo College's reporting method has changed

Prior to 2018, colleges and universities were allowed to report either amounts paid for QTRE (Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses) in Box 1 or amounts billed in Box 2. Beginning in 2018, institutions are required to report amounts paid for QTRE in Box 1

This change is significant becuase the amounts reported in Box 1 include all payments applied during the tax year to the student's account including: checks, credit cards, cash, loans, scholarships and grants.

The amounts reported in Box 5 are Scholarships and Grants.

To determaine what was paid for QTRE, you would take the amount from Box 1 and subtract the amount from Box 5.


Please note:
Qualified tuition and related expenses are tuition, fees, and course materials required for a student to be enrolled at or attend an eligible educational institution.

The following are not qualified tuition and related expenses.

  • Amounts paid for any course or other education involving sports, games, or hobbies, unless the course or other education is part of the student's degree program or is taken to acquire or improve job skills.
  • Charges and fees for room, board, insurance, medical expenses (including student health fees), transportation, and similar personal, living, or family expenses.


We strongly encourage you to refer to your billing statements for quarters occurring during the calendar year to obtain information appropriate for claiming tax benefits related to qualified education expenses.  In addition, we recommend that you consult your tax advisor to discuss your individual facts and circumstances.  Copies of receipts can be found online through your Hornet HQ account.

What if my SSN is incorrect on the 1098-T?
To update your SSN with Kalamazoo College to must bring your original SSN card to the Registrar’s Office.  After doing so, please notify the Students Accounts Office that your SSN has been updated with the college via email at, billing@kzoo.edu.  Once we have updated your 1098-T you will be notified via your K-College email.

What if my SSN is missing on the 1098-T?
Please print and complete the Substitute W-9S form found on the right side of this page under related documents.  When complete, please bring the form to the Kalamazoo College Business Office located on the second floor of Mandelle Hall.

Additional Resources

Below are several resources that can provide additional help in completing your taxes.