Skip Navigation
Kalamazoo College
33 - Hungary x Rachel Titche

Pre-application: Policies and Procedures

Policies and Procedures   Program Information   Eligibility   Language
Selection and Admission   Fees   Financial Matters   Deadlines
Parental Notification Policy   Independent Travel   Apply for a Passport   Travel Safety

Study Abroad Policies and Procedures

It is the student’s responsibility to become familiar with all Study Abroad policies, regulations and guidelines.


Academic programs and requirements for a specific study abroad program, as well as eligibility criteria, etc., are described in detail on the individual program brochure flyers, which are available in the Resource Room and online at: where you can search for a specific program.

Students interested in enrolling in a program should view List of Study Abroad Programs. Students can petition the CIP to have the program endorsed on a one-time basis. Such petitions must be filed by November 1st of the calendar year prior to the year in which the student wishes to apply to participate. A description of the petition process is available in the Center for International Programs and on the website


Students wishing to participate in study abroad must have a minimum 2.5 GPA at the time of application; some programs have higher minimum GPA requirements.

All students participating in long-or extended-term programs must have Junior standing (a minimum of 17 academic Kalamazoo College credits passed with a “D” or better are necessary to receive Junior standing).  Note: this excludes P.E. credit. Students who are not able to complete the program’s 17 academic K-unit requirement prior to the conclusion of their last quarter on campus before study abroad may be placed on a conditional admission status until proof of completion has been received and approved by the Registrar.

First year students are not eligible to participate in study abroad during the academic year.

Sophomores will be given priority for the spring short-term programs. Juniors will be admitted to spring short-term programs only if there is space available and with the approval of the Registrar and the student's adviser.

Kalamazoo students are eligible to participate in only one study abroad experience for credit during their time at the College. Students may participate in a study away program and a short-term or long-term study abroad program.

Students on academic probation or who have a history of significant disciplinary problems are not eligible to participate in the study abroad program.

Students who transfer to Kalamazoo College should talk with a CIP staff member during their first term on campus about their study abroad options.


  • What is my current GPA? Does it meet the minimum requirement for my study abroad program?
  • Am I currently on academic or social probation?
  • Do I have the minimum amount of language study required for my program?
  • Will I have the minimum 17 K-Unit requirement for a long- or extended-term program?
  • Have I talked with my adviser about all of my program options?


Kalamazoo College sponsors programs in nine countries, including Ecuador, France, Germany, Kenya, Mexico, Sénégal, Spain, Thailand, and Trinidad. On most Kalamazoo College sponsored programs, a College representative meets each group as it arrives abroad. College personnel visit these study abroad programs as needed. All Kalamazoo sponsored study abroad programs have a Resident Director appointed by the College to mentor students and represent the College. At many programs, students live in homestays; in other instances, housing is arranged by the program, typically in university dormitories. In most cases, the CIP will assist students during the pre-departure process, including processing required documents and student visa applications.  Programs in this category are listed in Group I on the List of Study Abroad Programs.


The College collaborates with domestic and international program partners in order to offer a wide variety of study abroad experiences.  Programs in this category are referred to as Kalamazoo Partner programs and are listed in Groups II and III on the List of Study Abroad Programs.  Although they are not operated by Kalamazoo College,  Kalamazoo Partner programs on the list of programs are approved for the transfer of academic credit.  No special process is required to apply academic credit, earned on these programs, to general graduation requirements. 

The Center for International Programs assists students with the application processes, and coordinates the payment of tuition, room and board, and non-refundable deposits required by the host institution. 

Students interested in Kalamazoo Partner programs will need to complete additional application materials for the host institution, submit pre-departure forms directly to the program partner and be prepared to be the primary contact with the Kalamazoo Partner program prior to departure.

Application to Kalamazoo Partner programs is a two-step process.  Students first submit applications to the Center for International Programs for preliminary review.  CIP endorsed applicants are then nominated for selection with the host institution.  It is important that students interested in Kalamazoo Partner programs are aware that the host institution makes the final selection and participation decisions.  Neither the CIP nor Kalamazoo College has the authority to change or alter the policies or decisions made by the sponsoring institution.

The CIP provides a Advisory for Specific Group 2 and 3 Programs and sends it along with the notice of nomination to a Kalamazoo Partner program. 

A number of Kalamazoo Partner programs are not approved for the transfer of financial assistance from the College.  These programs are listed in Group 3 of the List of Study Abroad Programs


Most returning students report that they wish they had studied more language before study abroad.

Students choosing the spring short-term study abroad option may not have proficiency in the language of that study abroad program greater than four k-units (level 202) of that language and must have a minimum proficiency equivalent to two k-units (level 102).  


Students whose physical, mental or emotional condition may require accommodations to participate in the study abroad program are encouraged to contact CIP staff well before the deadlines for applications. 


Students must meet specific requirements and deadlines in order to be eligible to participate in any study abroad program. These requirements differ from program to program, but for all of them, prospective participants must complete and submit required application materials.


All students must have a valid passport in order to apply for and participate in study abroad. The passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the end date for the study abroad program. Passports must be turned in to the Center for International Programs by the due date.

Students who are citizens of countries other than the United States, (regardless of whether or not they are permanent residents of the U.S.) must notify the Center for International Programs of the status of their citizenship, passport, and visa for residence in the U.S. at the time of application for participation in study abroad and may have additional visa requirements.


Students meeting the College’s and any program-specific eligibility requirements are selected for participation in the study abroad program on the basis of such items as their cumulative grade point average, their grades in the appropriate foreign language (where applicable), the strength of the required essay(s), faculty letters of recommendation, an evaluation of the transcript, and other information provided in their application and their College records.

The final decision regarding admission to and participation in specific programs rests with the Associate Provost of the Center for International Programs and host institutions abroad.  The Associate Provost reserves the right to deny participation in study abroad when students' actions either on or off campus raise doubt that they are ready for an international study experience or prepared to represent Kalamazoo College appropriately.  Programs may be changed, suspended, or withdrawn at any time due to political, economic or other conditions.


Short-term (3 K-Units):   $18,580

Long-term (6 K-Units):    $37,160

Extended-term (9 K-Units):   $55,740

All Kalamazoo Parnter programs options are billed at the Kalamazoo College rates cited above or at the actual rate, if this exceeds customary Kalamazoo charges.

Note: the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires that Kalamazoo College report tuition separate from other fees on the form 1098-T. Study abroad students at Kalamazoo College are charged a comprehensive fee for participation in the program. For the purposes of the 1098-T form, tuition will be listed in the same amount charged for the on-campus program. The remaining portion of the study abroad comprehensive fee will be noted as “study abroad program fee.”


  • All academic tuition and fees
  • Room and board while classes are in session
  • Excursions included as part of the academic program
  • Medical evacuation insurance
  • On-campus pre-travel consultaton


  • Round-trip international airfare to program site
  • Books and other required educational materials (including photocopies and personal printing–typically $150 per quarter) or additional lab or music fees
  • Room and board during the December holidays, Holy Week, and other extended vacation periods when the academic program is not in session
  • Cost of local transportation at the program location, including field trips for a course
  • Passports or required photographs
  • Visa fees for Australia; Botswana; China; Costa Rica; Denmark; Egypt; England; Greece; Germany (Bonn – residence permit fee); Hungary (BSM and BSCS); India; Ireland; Israel (Be’er Sheva and Jerusalem); Italy, Japan (Kyoto, Hikone, and Tokyo); or Scotland.
  • Travel expenses to consulates and/or embassies to apply for the student visa. In some cases these expenses may include air travel to appear in person for appointments, biometric processing fees, or fees for additional processing.
  • Required physical exams, x-rays and other medical tests (these costs may or may not be covered by insurance)
  • Any required and recommended immunizations (these costs will vary from $35 to $450 depending upon destination)
  • Any anti-malarial prophylactic pills (where recommended by the CDC) that the student takes abroad (average cost $10.00 per pill taken on a weekly basis–total cost varies from $100-$800 depending on the length of the program)
  • Required health and accident insurance
  • Fees charged by airline for carry-on bags, checked bags or overweight luggage
  • Independent travel while abroad or incidental expenses en route and abroad
  • Personal property insurance; cell phones or internet fees/usage; or memberships/fees at local gyms or exercise classes



Payments for study abroad programs are made according to the regular College payment schedule. Bills are sent directly from the student accounts department of the Business Office at Kalamazoo College. For specific billing dates, contact the Kalamazoo College business office.

All accounts, including fees, must be cleared before students can leave for their programs abroad. Non-payment of the comprehensive fee installments while abroad will jeopardize a student’s continuing participation in the program and may result in withdrawal or dismissal.


International education is supported at Kalamazoo College by a number of generous gifts this aid will be available for those programs that appear in the “approved for transfer of academic credit and Kalamazoo financial assistance/scholarships” category (Groups 1 and 2) in the List of Study Abroad Programs. Programs in Group 3 are eligible for limited financial aid. The term “limited financial aid” indicates that state and federal funds are fully available, but institutional funding (including GLCA tuition remission) will not be applied to the comprehensive fee.

Students who enroll at Kalamazoo College through the GLCA-TRE are eligible for off-campus programs that have been approved for transfer of academic credit and Kalamazoo College financial aid/scholarships. 

Work/Study: No employment is available to students while on study abroad.


Students with demonstrated financial need participating in study abroad may be eligible to receive a travel subsidy to help defray the cost of international air fare to the study abroad site. 


The amount students spend above what they pay the College varies greatly according to the individual student and the cost of living in the host country.

Students should make sure they understand their financial aid packages and they have sufficient funds for the length of the entire study abroad. There is no funding available to students beyond what financial aid designates.


All study abroad participants are required to purchase any required books, course-packs, photocopies, and other educational materials (including personal printing) needed for their course work abroad.


Typically, Kalamazoo College sponsored programs include one or more excursions that are subsidized by the College.


Students intending to participate in study abroad are required to comply with announced deadlines in a timely manner.  


In order to hold a student's place in a program, a $300 non-refundable deposit is required.


Kalamazoo College students must attend all mandatory study abroad orientations, workshops, and sessions, sign and/or complete and submit all signature or material submission documents, and read  all learning content material in the Hornet Passport. Orientations, workshops, and sessions, signature documents, material submissions, and learning content are listed in the pre-departure section of the Study Abroad Handbook, the site-specific checklists provided in the student’s acceptance packet, and the calendar section on the CIP website. There are no "make-up" activities.


A minimum number of passport photos are required for each program after admission for items such as visas, university/international student ID cards, transportation passes, homestay families, Resident Director information and other government requirements.


The College and the Center for International Programs recognize students’ developing independence, responsibility and accountability. However, the Associate Provost for International Programs or his/her designates has the authority and reserves the right to notify parents in the following circumstances and conditions:


Student Conduct Overseas:

If a parent contacts the CIP with concerns regarding his/her student’s safety, health or well-being, CIP staff are obligated to follow up on the report with staff members on-site as well as the student.


Students who plan to be away from their residences at their study abroad programs for weekend or vacation travel are strongly encouraged to leave itineraries and an approximate return time with the homestay family, roommates, and /or program director.

No student is to be absent from the program while classes are in session. More than two weekend absences in one month are also strongly discouraged in that they jeopardize family and community relationships.

Traveling alone on extended trips is strongly discouraged. In case of accident or illness, the foreigner traveling alone is exposed to unnecessary risks, which outweigh whatever advantages there may be in traveling alone.

Students are strongly warned against hitchhiking.

Students are strongly encouraged to secure housing in registered youth hostels, hotels or with individuals they personally know.

Students should be alert to U.S. State Department “cautions” and “warnings” regarding travel in areas deemed unsafe or risky. Local personnel and/or the Center for International Programs will also from time to time disseminate information or warnings in times of emergencies and heightened risk. Neither Kalamazoo College, the Center for International Programs, nor its agents and employees can be held responsible if students choose to ignore such information or warnings. Prior to travel, students should check the Department of State’s website at


No motorized vehicle (including motorized bicycles and motor scooters) may be owned, operated or driven by any student abroad while the academic program abroad is in session.  Violations of this policy may subject the offender to immediate dismissal from the program.

During extended vacation periods, such vehicles may be RENTED if: Parental approval has been given in writing to the Associate Provost of the Center for International Programs, and this approval has been specifically endorsed by the Associate Provost of the Center for International Programs.


The Center for International Programs at Kalamazoo College regularly monitors information relevant to the safety of all “K” students abroad, from official sources as well as from the College’s domestic and international partners and colleagues.

Kalamazoo College, like many other U.S. colleges and universities, uses the U.S. Department of State's travel warning as guidelines when determining in which countries students are permitted to study. 

Under College policy, students are permitted to transfer credit to Kalamazoo College from accredited study abroad programs and/or internationally accredited universities in “Travel Warning” countries.