Skip Navigation
Kalamazoo College
26 - Israel x Rosanna Shoup

Pre-departure: Housing, Transportation, Logistics

Ideally, the CIP would like to house everyone within walking distance of the university or program institution.

For Kalamazoo study abroad programs, all housing assignments are made by local staff. 

Housing assignments are based on the information provided in the student’s study abroad application.

If problems with the housing situation should arise, the student should bring the matter to the attention of the resident director or the housing coordinator in charge of housing for that particular program. I


Room and board is covered only while .the academic program abroad is in session.


The use of the word “homestay” indicates that the student is housed in the home of individuals in the host country and not in a university dormitory, room in a college house, or apartment.

In most programs the College makes payments directly to the homestay family through its local Resident Directors.


Men and women may not share the same accommodations (room, apartment, house, etc.) without the express approval of the Associate Provost of the Center for International Programs.


It is sometimes difficult to find homestays willing to accept students with special diets. The Center for International Programs may meet with students who have indicated a special diet.


Students are individually financially responsible for any breakage and/or damage that they cause in the homestay, dormitory, or elsewhere while abroad.


The use of telephones and telephone manners are often very different in other countries.

Internet accessibility is not guaranteed in either the home stay or a dorm.


Parents and other family members are strongly encouraged to visit students on study abroad only during vacation periods or at the conclusion of the academic program. 


Students will be responsible for arranging and paying for air travel to the study abroad program.

For travel subsidy students, the travel agent will arrange group international air travel from a designated departure airport.

Students who wish to organize their own air itinerary will not be eligible for the subsidy.

Travel subsidy students and other students that elect to have the CIP arrange their international air travel will receive a flight itinerary from the CIP. 

Travel subsidy students may change the date of their return after the flight itinerary has been reserved. Note: A fee will be charged for any changes made to the itinerary reserved by the CIP. 

There are two Kalamazoo Partner programs that arrange international round-trip transportation for their participants. Israel (Jerusalem and Be’er Sheva) invoice their participants for the airfare.

All students are required to provide the CIP with the fight itinerary before they depart for their program.


Please take care not to miss connecting flights.


In the event of weather-related or other unanticipated airline cancellations, please note students must be re-routed by an airline representative at the airport. 


Students will need to check with the airline prior to departure regarding baggage restrictions and possible fees for both checked and carry-on luggage.


While abroad, students are required by local laws to carry identification with them at all times. They should not, however, carry their passports with them unless the situation specifically requires it. Instead, they should carry a photocopy of the passport and any other relevant documents. Note: replacing a lost U.S. passport overseas typically costs in excess of $200 U.S.


Airlines will not allow passengers to check in or board aircraft with international destinations without the required documentation, including a passport and the appropriate student visa (where applicable) for the country to which they are going. 

Applying for a student visa is in most cases a very straight forward process; however, it can be very frustrating for students because a lot of the preparation for long- and extended-term students takes place during spring quarter.

The Center for International Programs coordinates the visa process on behalf of students who participate in the following programs: Ecuador, France, Italy, Kenya, Mexico, Spain and Thailand.

The CIP does not coordinate visa applications or entry documents for the following Kalamazoo Partner programs: Australia; Botswana; Chile; Beijing, China; Hong Kong, China; Costa Rica; Denmark; Egypt; England; Greece; Hungary; India; Israel; Japan (Hikone, Kyoto and Tokyo); or Scotland.

Students preparing to study on non-Kalamazoo programs are expected to use the following resources to become familiar with visa requirements and applications:

  • Visa section of the CIP Pre-Departure Checklist
  • Country Specific Information Sheets posted on the U.S. Department of State Website at
  • Host country consulate and embassy websites
  • Visa and immigration pages of the host program/university website
  • Instructions from your host program/university
  • Contact person for your host program/university
  • Questions that cannot be addressed by the information offered by the above resources should be brought to the CIP.

When required, the CIP provides proof of admission and financial support and a statement of good standing. In a few cases the CIP forwards to students the enrollment certifications from the partner institution.

Kalamazoo College, together with our partner institutions, is restricted to endorsing visas for academic study only.

International Students: International students may have specific requirements for the student visa based on their passport.

Students with F-l visas should make sure they have the required travel endorsement on the I-20 before departure from the U.S., in keeping with federal regulations.


The CIP staff strongly encourages students to consider several methods of accessing and bringing funds to their study abroad site. ATM cards may be “eaten” by certain machines; credit cards may not work for an unknown reason, etc. Make sure you have a “back-up” plan for the methods selected.


How much do students spend on study abroad? All numbers are SUGGESTIONS and should be considered “prompts” in considering actual spending habits! Note: most institutions abroad do not have the same on campus conveniences or amenities as at “K.” For example, students may need to budget extra money if to work out at a gym every day.

Books and photocopies   100 USD
Entertainment   250 USD/month
Local transportation    50 USD/month
Snacks and incidental food items   100 USD/month
Communication (extra internet time + cell phone)   100 USD/month
Gym memberships/exercise classes   100 USD/month
Independent travel money   This depends on the itinerary
Food/lodging during academic breaks   350 USD/month

Generally, the best place to start when creating a budget is to review expenses on Kalamazoo’s campus.