Skip Navigation
Kalamazoo College

General Student Employment Information

Getting Started with Handshake

Who Is Eligible for Student Employment?

  • All Kalamazoo College students.  If you have questions regarding a student's status please contact the Registrar’s Office at ext. 7204.
  • Recent or “expecting” K-Graduates may be considered for student employment only when enrolled in classes the quarter immediately preceding employment.  For example, a student who fulfilled degree requirements during the fall quarter may work during the winter but not spring quarter. However, a graduating senior may not work during the fall quarter since classes are not held during the summer.
  • Priority consideration should be given to first-year, transfer, and students who have been awarded federal work/study. 

How Do I Hire Students?

  1. Obtain the Student ID number from the student.
  2. Instruct the student to visit HR to confirm whether employment forms are on file.
  3. Confirm whether the student has been awarded FWS.  The Financial Aid Office maintains a list of students who have been awarded FWS on their website.  You may view the list by clicking on the following URL: Please open the document entitled, “Priority Hiring List for Supervisors.”  If you have questions regarding information contained in this document, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at ext. 7192.
  4. Refer to the HR-Student Position List for position ID numbers. 
  • Click the appropriate tab on the spreadsheet to locate FWS, CE or summer position IDs. 
  • Filter by department and use the GL account number to locate the correct position ID. If you are unsure of which GL to use to fund the compensation, please speak with the person within your department who manages the budget. If you do not see your GL account number listed, please proceed to the next bullet point to create a new position.
  • If you need a position created, please complete the New Student Position Set-up Request Form and email both the form and hire request to On the hire spreadsheet, please write "new position" in the position ID field (column D) so that the position can be created and the student hired in a timely fashion.

5. Please be sure to copy the position ID number as it appears on the list and paste it into the Student Hire Spreadsheet. All characters, including hyphens are required. Email the completed spreadsheet to  If you need to change the Web Time-Entry (WTE) Primary and Secondary Approver, you cannot use the hire spreadsheet to make this change.  Please complete the Web Time-Entry Approver Change Request Form and submit it to

6.  If you have a position created, but need to change the GL account number, please complete the Position Funding Change Request form. 

Payroll and Web-time Entry

All student employees are to report hours worked daily through Web Time Entry (WTE) and are compensated on the biweekly student payroll.  Primary supervisors and alternative WTE approvers are responsible for reviewing the WTE forms for accuracy and making a determination (approve/reject) by the payroll deadline.  Please reference the Student Payroll Calendar to schedule reminders in Outlook to review/approve each student’s time card.

Only the primary supervisor receives the time approval email reminder. The primary WTE approver bears the responsibility of informing the alternate approver when coverage is needed so that student payroll is not delayed during absences.  If you would like to permanently change WTE approvers, please complete the Web Time-Entry Approver Change Request Form and email to

Compensation for Student Employees

  • All student employees must be paid minimum wage.  Please refer to the following URL for an update of the minimum wage rate:
  • Student employees may NOT be paid via stipends, gift cards, check requests or as independent contractors.

Questions? We are here to help.

Email Human Resources at
or call Miasha Wilson at x7225.

Handshake postings: Richard Sylvester, or x7183
Web time entry and approval: Jill Rex, or x7285